Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Heaven and Hell

Once hit by a car, Freida is now blind in one eye and the cutest little ball of fur you'll ever lay your eyes on. When I first met Freida, I thought something was up. Her eyes seemed lifeless, and desolate. And after a closer look, I realized that her eyes did not reflect light like a normal eye should. There were no clear catch lights or pigmentation noticeable. They were just… there.

I have spent a endless hours divulging in photos trying to learn the lighting of photographers by looking at the eyes of their subjects. So when I met Freida for the first time, I had a hard time figuring out how I wanted to shoot her. What would be the point of a lighting setup that would not cast any catch lights? How do I display her to a viewer with no hints to a style? Like this.

I have a fascination with eyes; they are the gateway to one's soul. So my first impressions on Freida were chilling and vindictive. But I was quickly taught a lesson. Freida turned out to be a little fur ball of fun. She was playful, and respective. She was mellow, and adorable. She was, dare I say, the perfect cat.

On the other side of the spectrum, we have Bella. Her eyes glisten in the light with an almost euphoric existence. You can see everything in her eyes as if looking in a mirror.

Bella is – for lack of a better word – a bitch. She gripes and moans when she doesn't get her way and jumps all over the brand new flat screen TV, which only gets her to the top of a bookshelf that she will not jump off due to her flagrant fearfulness. This only makes her whine until someone goes and grabs her, only so that she can go and do this again.

Stay away from this cat if you can. Paul doesn't like her, I don't like her, and I’m pretty sure Amy doesn't like her either. Which ever way you want to look at it, these sparkling black cat’s eyes are the devil.


So what did I learn? I learned that eyes sometimes lie and as the saying goes, it's bad luck to cross a black cat's path.

Are you crazy
Gonzo

No comments: